What Makes Star Tattoos So Popular? Everything from Shooting Star Tattoos, to Nautical Star Tattoos
Star tattoos seem to be a pretty old and yet a very popular design. It is one of the most requested custom designs. Why are they so popular and are they over rated? You know there is this on going controversy between the "tattoo traditionalists" and the new generation of "tattooers". I put those in quotes because they are terms that I made up for this article.
A "tattoo traditionalists" like the old school tattoos. Things that are done in black ink and nothing that would be considered popular. They feel that each tattoo should be unique and say something about the individual. They are strongly against anyone that gets a tattoo because it is a popular design. For example they are against star tattoos because of their popularity. They would most likely be against the good old tribal arm band tattoo or a barbed wire arm band etc. You know the tattoo designs that are so popular and done over and over again. The "tattoo traditionalists just hate these.
The new generation of "tattooers" are pretty much the opposite. They like what is cool and hip and want to get tattoos done that are popular and in style. They will often look at celebrity tattoos or the tattoos of friends to get their ideas from which they might do some customizing and etc. Their designs typically feature a lot of color and are bright!
I have written more about these groups in other articles so for now I will stick to the topic at hand of star tattoos. You see there is a phenomenal growth in star tattoo designs. Tons of people want to get everything from simple star tattoos, groupings of moon and star tattoos, nautical stars, and even shooting stars. Star tattoo designs are pretty much everywhere.
So why are they so popular?
1. Star tattoo designs and celestial tattoos are especially popular themes among women and this is a rapidly growing market.
2. Star tattoos can be very gender neutral. Men and women can get star tattoos done.
3. Star tattoos are often inexpensive to get designs of and cost very little to get done.
4. Star tattoos often make a great first tattoo design for someone who is a little worried about getting started in tattoos. They are small and easily covered up and also less painful to get because of their size and therefore popular among first timers.
5. Star tattoos because of their size can fit into or among other existing designs or can make great cover up of a bad tattoo.
6. Stars are pretty universal symbols of good things. Most all religions have some type of star symbolism and star and stars don't make a strong statement about the world but just kind of thought of as fun and light hearted.
So who is right? Are star tattoos a great design to get done like the new generation of tattooers is doing or should you avoid them at all costs because they are not unique and they are overdone like the traditionalists would say?
Well, like all great questions in life and in the world of tattoo design the decision really is your to make. It will be your tattoo and one that you will live with for a long time. I think the best middle ground between the two groups is to just get something you like. If you like star tattoos for their own sake if they are popular or not then go ahead and get one and who cares. However if you are just getting a star tattoo because your friend just did or because the latest pop diva got one then it might be better to wait. Either way the choice is your to be made.